Home » Women’s Issues » What is Domestic Violence?

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence is whenever a person behaves in a threatening, violent or abusive way towards a family member, a partner or an ex-partner.

Types of Abuse:
· Physical – hitting, punching, slapping, pushing, kicking, stabbing, attempted murder or murder.
· Sexual – forcing someone to have sex, touching someone when they do not want them, forced marriage.
· Financial – stealing, taking control of money, running up debts, not letting someone work.
· Emotional – making someone feel bad or scared, blackmailing, checking up on someone, verbal abuse, humiliation, constant criticism, threats.
· Social/Restricting freedom – isolation, controlling who the mother or child/ren see or where they go, what they wear or do, stalking, imprisonment, forced marriage.

You are not alone if you and your children are suffering from violence in the home.  Every minute in the UK, the Police receive a call for help for domestic violence.  1 in 4 women experience domestic violence in their life and you can get help.

Call KMEWO on 020 7263 1027 or 07748 851125

Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247

Call the Police on 999, in an emergency.

Who else?

● Your GP could refer you and your child to a local organisation for emotional or psychological support.
● Your local authority may have a duty to provide you with emergency accommodation.
● Social services have a duty to help any child in need of emergency accommodation.
● A court can make a court order to keep your abuser away.
● You might find it difficult to communicate with the abuser about child maintenance, you should first speak with trained professionals.
● The CSA (child support agency) could collect child maintenance on your behalf and they understand the importance of protecting you and your child.

If you are thinking of leaving:

Violence can often get worse if he knows you are leaving, so think of your safety at all times and make a plan, for example…

  • Put a bag in a hiding place where he will not see it or leave it with a friend
  • Collect together your birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, immigration papers, solicitors letters, court orders etc relating to you and your children. You should also take any documentation relating to the abuse – e.g. police reports, court orders such as injunctions and restraining orders, and copies of medical records if you have them.
  • Also think about clothing, money for fares and food, a spare set of keys, medicines and toys for the children.
  • Leave the home when it is safe to do so, either when he is not at home or you can get away without further violence.

The law:

  • Violence in the home is a crime in the UK.
  • If you are new in the UK, awaiting leave to remain and you are experiencing violence in the home, you can get legal help. You do not have to stay in a violence situation.
  • People who are violent towards you can be arrested, charged and may be imprisoned.
  • You can call the police and can consider pressing charges. This is your choice.
  • You can obtain orders from a court to prevent violence.
  • You can also obtain an order from the court to demand that the abuser leaves your home and does not return.
  • A solicitor can help you with this and you might be entitled to free legal help.You and your children have the right to live free of fear and violence 

There are people who can speak to you in KURDISH, ARABIC and FARSI who want to help you.  

What you do next is always your decision.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *